Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Writing About Personal Experience in Ministry

Writing contests, writing groups and clubs, writing friends and buddies! It is the sauce that flavors my world. So what contest am I currently working on? Well, I’m glad you asked.

One of the groups I belong to is FaithWriters. Every year they have a novel contest. One year it’s fiction, and one year it’s non-fiction. This is non-fiction year. I’m not much on writing non-fiction. I picture non-fiction as memoirs – and you better have an unusual, interesting life to write your memoirs or autobiography – or devotional books or self-help books.

I do, however, have an idea for a non-fiction entry for this year’s contest. I worked at Teen Challenge for nineteen years – Greater Phoenix Teen Challenge to clarify since there are several hundred in the world. I thought it was the most exciting, most fulfilling job in the world.

Imagine having a ministry in the heart of a major metropolis, and the type people that are drawn to the haven of such a ministry. It certainly made for interesting stories. And I’ve got plenty of those stories. Not only was it interesting, but I met some of the most awesome people in the world.

 I’ve worked alongside the salt of the earth, some men and women whom God delivered from the clutches of drug and alcohol use. Unfortunately, I've also witnessed the tragedy of those who walked away from God  after being delivered and set them free.

Now, my dilemma is who to mention and who not to mention. I’m sure I’ll step on toes because I don’t mention them. It’s not intentional. And as for those in the ministry who failed big time, I will not go into that. Theirs is not my story to tell, and besides, who truly knows the heart and mind of a person except that person and God.


Onward, with the writing of this book. So far, I’m having so much fun doing it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment