Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Be An Encourager

Me and my friend Jan
Are you an encourager? A motivator? Or are you the opposite? Do your words and actions belittle others, put them down, steal their joy, or fail to affirm them?

You can speak truth, rebuke, and critique to someone without damaging their sense of self worth. A person, whether it be an adult or child, who is pursuing a dream, achieving a goal or just taking a risk to try something new, needs encouragement. Failure to do so is a travesty.

Likewise, it’s equally a travesty to not speak correction to someone when that correction will help them grow, mature, and become better at what they are hoping to accomplish. You can do so in love. Make it evident to that person how you support their efforts and dreams and goals. Be like the Apostle Paul in the New Testament. Whenever he addressed an issue that needed correcting in the early church, he always began with praise. Then Paul dropped the “But.”  The but always pointed out the failures and shortcomings.

Praise someone first, then voice your rebuke or correction. Praise makes the ground fertile to receive the seed you want to plant. In my writing journey I’ve had people who have encouraged and motivated me to continue writing. This has been invaluable, especially during my times of discouragement, the times I cried out to God, “Am I supposed to be a writer?”

So today, I give a shout out to my wonderful husband, Jeff Ogle, and my friend, Jan Glaze Christiansen. Jan prodded me to continue writing, and pursue my dream. Jeff always believes in me, and listens patiently as I read what I've written pout loud to him. Be a Jan or a Jeff today. Instill hope in others.

Ephesians 4:29 “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.”

1 comment:

  1. Aw, you made me blush. You're easy to encourage because you're such a positive person anyway and your are an encourager yourself. You're a great writer, Leola. Keep on using that God-given gift. He will use it to bless others and point the way to Him.

    ReplyDelete