Tuesday, February 12, 2013

It's Not About The Money

“It’s not about the money!” We’ve heard that statement from politicians, actors, athletes, celebrities, and many others. My husband says every time you hear it, you can take it to the bank that it is about the money.

When I started my writing journey, I had visions of earning a comfortable living, people clamoring to be my agent or publisher, and even movie offers for one of my novels. Aren’t we all dreamers? Don’t we all want recognition for our accomplishments? It reminds me of that song we sang in church when I was a child –This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine.

What is the purpose of having a light if we don’t let it shine? With my first completed novel, I expected the world to love it like I did. Well, if not the world, at least an agent or publisher. When that didn’t happen – and I must confess that I didn’t try very hard – I began the journey of discouragement and questioning whether writing was really what I should be doing.

So I did what I’ve done my entire life, I began to earnestly pray about it. Lots of tears and fears accompanied my prayers. The sweetest thing the Lord spoke into my spirit during that time was, “Who are you, Leola? Are you who others say you are or are you who I say you are?”  When the great “I Am” speaks, we better listen.

Now I write for the glory of God – with the hope I make some money in the process. The first half of that sentence sounds pious and sanctimonious, so I included the second part. As Christians, everything we do should be for the glory of God.  And the money would be nice too.

There’s nothing wrong with desiring to make money with writing. I repeat, there’s nothing wrong with that. As we surrender our desires and expectations to God, we free Him to open doors and make things happen. My heart’s desire became, “God, I want to touch others, minister to others through my writing.”
Lord, today I pray for those who are struggling with doubts and discouragement about their writing career. Envelop them with Your presence and love. Encourage their hearts, and reveal Your will to them. In Jesus name, Amen!

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you, my friend. I want to impact others for the Kingdom of God with my writing, but I sure wouldn't mind making some money at it either.

    Praying God blesses your writing.

    ReplyDelete