Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Fiction or Non-fiction?

For three years in a row I’ve entered FaithWriters’ Page Turner Contest. I actually won two years ago. They alternately have a fiction year and non-fiction year. This year, 2014, is a non-fiction year. Ugh! As a writer, I much prefer fiction.

I told myself I wouldn’t enter this year, because….well, I don’t write devotionals or teaching/self help books, and frankly, my life isn’t of best-selling interest – at least not to anyone else. As such, I decided to not enter this year.

Before I go any further, let me say the entry I did win with in the Page Turner Contest two years ago was my non-fiction entry How Can a Harmless House Cat Be a Cougar?  Uh, yeah, this grandmother is married to a guy sixteen years younger than me. Been married nineteen years now.

While mulling over any possibility I might possess to enter this year’s non-fiction contest, I thought Teen Challenge. Voila. My nineteen years of working at Greater Phoenix Teen Challenge was exciting and interesting, for sure.

So, all my friends and co-workers from Teen Challenge, beware! You will probably appear at some point in this entry I’m going to write. Well, I’ve started writing it already – maybe have one whole page written.


Everything that happens in our lives is a potential for a story. We may have to tweak things a little, or perhaps even a lot, but we can turn just about anything into a story. My life may not be interesting, but life in general certainly is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment