Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Show Me The Money!

Like many couples, my husband and I often struggle financially. I retired in 2011, although I was young and healthy enough to still work. **uh, cough, could! I consider 62 young enough** My husband works hard, but in the construction line of business he’s in, if he doesn’t work, he doesn’t make money.

My SS check every month isn’t that much. I do some selling on eBay and Amazon, but the bottom line is that I don’t contribute much to our income. I was so zealous to be retired and finally devote my time to writing, but let’s face it. For many writers, it’s not very lucrative. Truthfully, most of the time, we spend more in our pursuit of writing than we bring in.

Recently I have felt the pressure in my lack of ability to contribute more to our income. It has made me question my quest in writing. As a Christian writer, I’ve heard so many say, “It’s not about the money as long as we bless and minister to others with our writing.”

Well, okay, BUT! Does the Christian plumber, fireman, doctor, nurse, or store manager say that? We can bless and minster to others with our writing without being made to feel guilty because we expect or hope to receive monetary recompense. There is nothing wrong with that!

So, where does that leave me right now? I’m not sure. I am praying and asking God for guidance. I love being retired. I love having time for just me. It seems like I’ve taken care of others, and looked after everyone else since I was sixteen years old. I was a wife and mother then. But I’ve asked God the last few days if I need to be looking for a part time job.


I’m just being real. I don’t have an answer right now, but I serve the One who does. In the meantime, I’ll write and write and write because I love it. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder that our lives are based on the truth of scripture, not on what we are thinking or feeling at any given moment. I'll be applying this to my own writing. :)

    ReplyDelete